SUNSET HILL SHOOTING RANGE SAFETY POLICIES
Safety is the #1 priority at the Sunset Hill Shooting Range.
All shooters MUST follow all rules & regulations of the Range and obey all commands
given by the Range Instructors.
The following Policies are ALWAYS in effect at the range:
- Always keep the gun (muzzle) pointed down range or down towards the ground.
Finger off the trigger
- Keep your finger off the trigger (out of the trigger guard) until your sights are on your target and you are ready to fire.
- Pistols must be carried to and from the firing line in a suitable locked container.
- Rifles must be carried to and from the firing line in a suitable locked container or with the actions open and empty.
- Loaded firearms are allowed only on the range firing line.
- Shooters must understand range commands issued in English or have an interpreter with them at all times while in the shooting area.
- We recommend shooters wear closed toed footware and shirts that aren't low cut to avoid getting burned by spent shell casings. We are an outdoor range so dress appropriately for the weather.
Handling of firearms
- Casing and uncasing of firearms must be done at the firing line.
- Firearm loading and unloading must be performed on the firing line only with the firearm pointed down range. Do not load/reload firearms anywhere behind the firing line.
- There will be no handling of firearms behind the firing line, during a cease fire, or when anyone is down range.
Loaded firearms are not to be left unattended.
- If you have more than one shooter and only one firearm, leave the firearm at the bench, action open and cleared between shooters. Do not pass loaded firearm between shooters or benches.
Eye and ear protection is required by all persons on the range shooters and spectators alike.
- Rapid fire is not allowed.
- Cross-firing or diagonal shooting is not allowed.
- Only shotguns with a full shoulder stock are allowed no exceptions.
- Shot size allowed on the range is 7 1/2 - 9. We also allow slugs.
- No holster drawing or tactical shooting allowed
Ammunition not allowed
- Armor piercing or steel core
- Tracer ammo
- .50 caliber BMG or above
- No live ammo or miss-fired ammo is to be placed in the trash cans.
- Anyone participating in horseplay or language that is considered to be loud, abusive, or profane will be asked to leave the premises.
Alcohol or illegal drugs are prohibited at the range. Persons believed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be refused use of the range.
Children anywhere on the property must be supervised by an adult and wear hearing and eye protection at all times.
No eating, drinking or smoking on the firing line.
Dogs are not allowed outside of vehicles on range property.
- On Rental
- 8 years old and over may shoot Air Guns in the Rental Area only. Under 18 must be accompanied by a parent, grandparent or legal guardian while shooting Air Guns.
- No one under 13 years of age may shoot firearms, with the exception of Air Guns in the Rental Area.
- Children 13 years and over must have a signed consent from parent or guardian, stating that the range is not responsible for any accidents they may have while shooting.
- 13 to 16 year olds may only shoot rifles and shotguns and only while accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
- Youths between 16 - 18 may shoot pistol, rifle or shotgun but only while accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
- On Private
- No one under 13 years old may shoot. Children 13 years and over must have a signed consent from parent or guardian, stating that the range is not responsible for any accidents they may have while shooting.
- 13 to 18 year olds may only shoot rifles and shotguns and only while accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
- Youths between 18 - 21 may shoot pistol, rifle or shotgun but only while accompanied by a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian.
The Range Master has final authority and may inspect
any firearm or ammunition to be used on the range.
The Range Master Has the Authority to Interpret and Enforce All Range Rules